Sunday, February 17, 2013

My city

My friend Jeremias from Mexico called me a couple of days ago, I was so excited that I actually fell from my bench because I was trying to get signal from the window. Oh, how I miss my country sometimes. I miss my friends, my family, my nephew and how I miss the food. Juarez, is in the border from Mexico and United States which brings a lot of advantages and a lot more disadvantages. Juarez has suffered a lot. I  remember when I was in 10th grade in the year 2004, girls of my age started to disappear, girls who got missing after a day of school or work. Families were devastating by not being able to find their bodies, and some of them by the conditions that the bodies were found. In that time, we didn't have a car and I had to take two buses to go school. I had to walk through an abandon space in the morning  to take the bus and on the way back in the afternoon. It was horrifying thinking that something could happen to me. Luckily, my parents decided that it was time to come and live in United States. The killings lasted for about two years, but there are still women missing and we cannot do anything to help those families feel better. That was the first time that my city suffered. The second one was a couple of years after in 2008, when drug dealers started to fight between each other to gain my city. The purpose of all this is because Juarez is one of the biggest border cities and the drug dealers need to gain access to United States. This war between those cartels are still going on, leaving thousands of people dead every year. Some of them innocent people who are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Sadly, one of my cousins is dead because of this. Last year the killings minimized and we hope that this year would be even better. My city was one day beautiful and safe, now is not. We have proved that our people are really strong, we know that even though things happen in life, we cannot give up, we usually find the good thing about all this, maybe keeping families together,  but most importantly we have faith that all of this will end soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment